Skip to main content

Nostalgia hits home in a UNIV100 paper

Yvette B.Tamukong. That is what my birth certificate reads. However, I have been called many other names in the few years my cells have been going through mitosis. Some of these words are medical, insulting, complementing and, of course, nicknames. I was called an embryo, a baby, a child, a pre-teen, a teen, an adolescent and, at last, an adult. I do not really think the term adult should be applied based on medical terms. An adult is someone who is responsible for themselves and is capable, if needed, of caring for another. As of now I do not believe myself to have met those conditions. So this the story of how I got so many names.
I was born to Joseph and Florence T on the evening of monday, May *1, 19** in a providence called Wum. I was their first biological child together. Joseph had two children from a previous marriage: both boys. Gerald and Edwin are their names. Gerald is the eldest. And then there was Nadine. She is, in actuality, my cousin on my mothers side who was adopted by my parents upon their marriage. She is something like a mother to me despite being only five years older. Two years and couple of months after my birth, my parents came home with another baby. Thus I became an older sister. At that time I was also a younger sister, half sister, cousin, niece, grand daughter, daughter,and toddler. I grew up happy in Wum till I was three. From my eyes everything was fine; happy and dandy.  But I was told by elder siblings that we were so poor they would eat boiled sweet potatoes with water to serve as the soup breakfast, lunch and dinner. I at that time was privy to better nutrition because I was younger. then we moved to the providence of Bamenda. That was were I started attending school. My mother tells me I started attending school around the age of four. I had learned how to count and since Nadine was going to school, I also wanted to go. Since my parents saw no harm in me going, I was allowed to. I do not know what urged that on. Was it because I was enamored with my sister and wished to be like her or was it competition? Besides the point, thats how became student of an official institution. 
As I grew up over the years and my brain became more capable, I got craftier. So much so that I masterminded a plan to steal sugar cubes and got my younger brother to join me. As far as I knew if I asked for sugar cubes at a time other than breakfast, the reply would be a "no." so i took matters into my own hands. I told my brother to stand guard at the door  to the living room and if any body was to start walking in our direction he should scream "cacala." The word came from from my in ability to remember the word "calabash": a container which was formally the shell of a gourd. while he was on look out I was supposed to go take two cubes of sugar. Unbeknownst to me, my mother had overheard the thing! While I was taking the two sugar cubes I heard my brother screaming, "Cacala! Cacala!" In a rush to put everything away, I dropped the sugar jar. We were caught red-handed. I really do not remember if we were punished. Whenever the story is told my brother always claims that I threatened him. I on the otherhand vividly remember him wanting a sugar cube too. However, the machinations of his brain are not unfounded. I myself do not remember this, but my mother tells me I was once angry with my brother for putting me  in trouble. So I called him out in a really sweet voice to a secluded area. When he got there I started threatening him to behave and make sure he does not get me into trouble again. She says I was probably influenced by watching my elder brothers do the same to my elder sister. So I guess I was a bully.
With time I grew older, but not necessarily wiser. I did get smarter, though. Seriously! I was always first in my class. My grades were top notch and my ego knew it. My siblings were not as blessed with knowledge as I was. On one hand, they were not dunces. On the other hand, they were not the first in their classes. On the last day of the year, when children took their report cards home, I would sometimes pretend to have flunked and feign tears. Then I would burst out laughing as if to say "like that would ever happen!" Once one of my uncles was making a bet on my siblings and I passing all our classes and I, with my over-inflated ego, said "I always pass. It's them you need to worry about." By the time I was finished with the sentence I could feel many eyes glaring at me. At the time I did not realize how egoistic that was but now that I do, I feel really bad. I think about that moment and how it felt to be resented whenever my ego seems even a little over-inflated. That is how I got to be called an egotist. I was also a destroyer. I broke countless dishes among other items. Most of the dishes got broken because I was in a hurry to go watch either the Stargate series or cartoons on a francophone channel called Mangas. I would get scolded and sometimes beaten for breaking plates. Eventually, I got smarter, some would say guileful. When I broke a dish, or say dishes, I would hide them. When I got a chance, I would sneak them out of the house and hide them in the shrubs outside our gate. Let us just say if an archeological dig ever takes place there, it would yield many a artifacts. The other item got to their broken states haphazardly. By this time in my life electronics had not yet been introduced. But trust me they will be.
I do not remember exactly why but we moved to the providence of Yaounde. This is where things changed. I started failing my classes. I was no where close to first. I might have been even considered a dunce. I had no idea why. I can hear you saying "Karma." I guess I deserved it. I was so disheartened because i had built my niche around academic performance. I broke a lot of things, I was lazy, I was selfish, I was not good at cooking, I was not the cutest (at the time), but at least I got the best grades. I tried my best to get better grades, or marks as we called it, but my best just was not cutting it. I got so bad that my teacher started calling me stupid in class. I was really mad and hurt so when I went home I complained to my dad. The next day he came with me to school and warned my teacher to never insult me in any way again. That very same day was a test day. Miraculously, I did well and have sailed smoothly through my education ever since. There was some great turbulence at one point though and that was 9th grade English.  
A few years later my parents won a contest to come to America and I was so excited that I would get to touch the clouds while in the plane. Much to my disappointment, the windows would not open. I asked my dad about it and he said they would have no texture. I could not understand then but, after all the science classes I have been through; I think that I would only feel a slight change in temperature. This is how I became an immigrant. 
I’ll tell you about the names I was called while in America later I promise. But of course there is one very important name I recently acquired. It took twelve years of hard work and some hard core essay writing to get this name. This name also has a high cost if you ask me. There are over 37000 people who are also currently known by this name because they met high standards. I am called a Terp! I have a t-shirt that says so.

TYB

Popular posts from this blog

Naul's Memory of the wind

Upon my first exposure to the video (on Mnet) with out subtitles, I thought: the guy in the uniform was a Japanese invader.  Japan was bombing Korea. ( I thought of this only because i remember Japan having to do something with bombs. Like Hiroshima; only I switched it around and Japan was doing the bombing. The guy and his daughter were playing and the bombs started approaching. He ran with his daughter but the bombs were faster and the guy in the uniform were getting closer. A bomb came really close and the guy used his body to shield his daughter. (Not really plausible seeing as the human body is not that strong.) Then the Japanese soldier was passing by and aw the little girl and had pity on her. then he ended up liking her so he married her. (Its very illogical because he doesn't age. And I doubt the little girl would have willingly agreed to marry someone whose race, nation help bring about her fathers death.) The Soldier is sexy jumping of his horse; maybe the reaso

my shattered heart

so i was the one to say the words, to put the ring back into your recieving hand. we were supposed to have become a happy married couple today but we became two disgruntled single people. I said I love you because I do and to talk to me if you needed to talk because I wanted you to tell me I could talk to you. You always thought that i had friends to talk to but i don't. their lives are so shiny and filled with light and to go tarnish it with my problems especially when I think I am the Problem is not feasible for me. I don't have a wonderful man anymore. I pray that he continues to find himself and grow to have a beautiful family that ill probably be envious of and a nice compassionate wife. I don't know what to do with myself. Usually people  who break up with people have somewhere to go, something to focus on. I feel like a dunce at work a pretender and i'll soon be found out and kicked out. I feel like my relationships with people all over are so shallow.

So I want to be a recluse. Again

The world isn't going to care that you aren't there anymore. The shadows will welcome your presence the seams of reality will easily tear allowing thorns to embrace unclothed skin. Your thoughts will take you further into a dooms-day future than anytime machine ever could. Your heart will burn and freeze and thaw. From your eyes will flow endless rivers and grow untamable flames. You recon neither fame nor infamy by turning in, being a one dimensional point, building up walls that reach for extraterrestrial life, digging holes past China and into another dimension, cocooning yourself with blankets as wide as space and time... You will be unmissed. What could be missed?  Fractions of a shattered shoddily mirrored glass? A magnet that dies in second? A battery unable of providing power? Holey umbrellas? shambled roofs? Unsteady rotted floorboards? Don't bother trying to be something to someone somehow. It's too late, they'll see right through you. You will see th